Monday 23 March 2015

Wine beer and cookies

I am really enjoying my time off. I can say that now and mean it, since it took nearly a year to obtain my visa and allow me to have a job in the UK and up until that point I was bored shi*less. I have had my job since November and its fantabulous. Having a schedule suits me. If we were to ever win the lottery, I would have to work. The past year has taught me that. Otherwise I would lose sanity.
Apparently, at this job in the UK anyway, I acquire two days off a month. Gasp! You Americans gasp. I know, cray cray right?
So I have had 4 days off, and that is plenty of time to sit and sip coffee and listen to the really loud chorus of birdies outside the window. I mean it. Bristol sounds like what I might imagine a rain forest to sound like. It is the happiest sound, listening to them converse in the trees, although the one bird I would stick in the mix is a Chickadee. (Dee Dee Dee.) For all you UKer's, here is the little darling I am referring to. The Maine State Bird :).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfMsUuU9KtQ
After a little investigation, it seems it has a cousin here in England called the Coaltit.
http://bugsbeetlesandbarefootdays.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/ohc-chickadeecoal-tit.html
The cousin sounds like he is jacked up on  my coffee and calling out to aliens simultaneously. The sounds of birds may or may not tickle your fancy, but I find them to be the background noise in my life. One of the first things I recognized about moving here was the difference in birds chirping. Even the best loved sea gull sounds different! (Although sea gulls are gutsy pests over here, Tim once saw one swoop down and engulf someone's pizza at an outdoor eatery.)
Anyway, coffee and birds. That has made my lazy days off. I could care less what I do with  the rest of the day, but waking up without rushing around and getting to listen to them chirp is good enough for me. Ahhh, simple pleasures.
This morning however, I started off the morning on that infamous red colored website that provokes binge watching. I was clicking through the documentaries and saw one about sommeliers. Tim and I chatted about it some while he was getting ready for work (poor dude) and I was wrapped up in a nest of our duvet. It instantly made me recall my days at Butterfield's.
For those of you who don't know, Butterfield's Wine and Grocery is where I spent my twenties working during the summer,baking stuff. The best sellers though were the cookies. While I waited for the cookies to bake, I would shove the timer onto my white apron strap and head out to the front of the store, where my lovely red headed coworker was most likely chatting up a tourist about the fine selection of wines we had to offer. Everyone who worked there had some sort of knowledge on the subject, but she was such a convincing sell. I would eavesdrop on her conversations, listening for which wine to pair with cheeses or dessert. We had a wine bible that would often make an appearance when customers were shopping for a suggestion, but she always knew what to say. I however was in love with most of the flavored beers and ales we had to offer, so I had no problem recommending some raspberry wheat ale or an http://www.atlanticbrewing.com/home  specialty. Nom nom!
I miss the days of working there, I will never have another experience like it. I  had a mix of colorful coworkers and an even more colorful boss, but most of my dearest friends are as a result of me working there. Maybe they just wanted the cookies.


me in an early nest. you know, for some cuteness factor

3rd generation owner, boss and my beloved "other grandfather" Jack Walls
Our very own elegant red headed sommelier and I

A small litte article on Butterfield's. My friend and co worker is  in the background http://countyseatsupplies.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/early-stores-jh-butterfield-co-bar.html

No comments:

Post a Comment